University-Industry R&D Collaborations in Immersive Technologies, Bath
10am - 3pm
This post is meant as helpful information for our members, if you'd like to go to the event sign up on eventbrite here - https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/university-industry-rd-collaborations-in-immersive-technologies-bath-tickets-45239022133?aff=BathWorkshop#tickets
An Immerse UK and CAMERA Workshop: University-Industry R&D Collaborations in Immersive Technologies
Secrets to Winning Innovation Funding and Running Successful Collaborative Projects in Partnership with Universities
The recent Government announcements of the £150million Creative Industries Sector Deal and £33million ‘Audiences of the Future’ challenge funding highlight the current exciting opportunities for innovation in immersive technologies.
The theme of the workshops is leveraging cross-sector partnerships and enabling, immersive technologies to stimulate collaborative R&D projects for innovation and business growth. The workshops will draw on the collective experience of seasoned collaborators from industry and academia, alongside funding providers and experienced bid writers. Participants will be able to informally discuss what is involved in building successful collaborations with universities, what funding routes are available in relevant technology areas, and how best to access them.
Who Should Attend:
Priority will be given to UK based* startup, micro and small to medium-sized enterprises** (SMEs) with a clear interest in novel development or applications of immersive technology platforms and content. Previous academic-industrial collaboration is not a prerequisite to attendance.
Please note that places on the workshops are limited and we cannot guarantee that all applicants will be able to attend. You will be contacted by email following registration and invited to submit a 100-word outline of your R&D interests.
To inform presentations and group discussions, CAMERA will circulate a list of funding mechanisms and specific calls to participants before the event, plus example collaboration agreements used by Innovate UK.
All applicants will be asked to submit a 100-word outline of ~3-5 areas of interest for R&D collaborations in immersive technologies. Content should be top level only. This information will ONLY be used by the organizers to group participants by interest area in session 2. Information shared in the workshop application will not be made public or shared with any third parties at any point.
10.00 Arrival & Coffee
10.30 Introductions from CAMERA and Immerse UK and EPSRC.
10.45 Session 1 - Interactive talks encouraging audience input.
● Getting a collaborative project off the ground – case studies; what has worked and what hasn’t.
○ Where do collaborations start?
○ Speaking the same language - understanding each other’s requirements and offering; scoping the project
○ Aligning partner objectives & timeframes
○ Cross-sector/discipline collaborations
● Benefits to all – case study based
○ Innovation for competitive advantage
○ Organisational learning and capability building
○ R&D tax credits
● Lifting the curtain on R&D collaborations
○ Collaboration Agreements, typical IP arrangements - Lambert toolkit
○ Costings – matched contributions versus cash
○ Putting together the work-plan
● Navigating the funding maze
○ What’s out there right now? Innovate, H2020, RCUK and LEPs.
○ How do they differ?
○ Choosing the right funding method
○ SETsquared Scale-Up Programme
12.45 Session 2 - Group Sessions: Project Catalyst
○ Tables will be handpicked beforehand to include academics, experienced SME collaborators and SME novices sharing a common R&D interest area. Discussions will draw on the outlines submitted pre-event to identify suitable funding routes, develop potential partnerships and critique project ideas collectively.
○ Q&A discussion & feedback from participants.
14.45 Wrap up, Coffee, Networking.